Singapore has long been one of the preferred international destinations for Indian travellers. The country offers a perfect blend of history, culture, entertainment, nature, and adventure. It is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. Its name translates to Lion City (Singa means Lion and Pura means city). It is one of Asia’s most prominent business hubs too. This attracts a lot of business and leisure travellers to this island state.
Singapore has something to offer all kinds of travellers. If you are on a tight budget, then Singapore can be a great place to visit as its facilities and infrastructure are designed to suit all budgets. Also, when you are on a budget trip, it is important to safeguard yourself from unexpected expenses that can arise due to medical or other travel-based exigencies like the loss of baggage or passport, etc.
To cover these travel-based emergencies, buying traveller insurance becomes essential. Hence, it is important to buy a Singapore travel insurance policy before you head out on your budget trip to this amazing island state. If you are travelling with family, then make sure that you opt for a family travel insurance policy with international coverage. It is essential to understand the benefits of travel insurance. Moreover, you can opt for travel insurance online offered by reputed insurers like Tata AIG.
Planning a Budget Trip to Singapore
During the second half of the twentieth century, Singapore evolved from a sleepy fishing village to one of the most advanced countries in the world. While the total area of Singapore is merely 750 square kilometres (half of Delhi), it packs a lot of experiences for travellers. In fact, if you don’t plan yourself, then Singapore can be a costly place to visit.
Here are some tips to help you plan your budget Singapore trip:
- Calculate the flight costs for your return trip. Flights to Singapore are comparatively cheaper from Chennai and Thiruvananthapuram. You might want to plan accordingly. This will help you understand the Singapore trip cost.
- Use public transport. Singapore has a well-knit public transport system, including the MRT, LRT, and buses.
- Choose an affordable place to stay. There are many world-class hostels in Singapore that can offer cost-efficient accommodation. You can also opt for homestays within your budget. This will help you to lower the Singapore trip costs from India.
- Indulge in street food. Singapore has some of the most popular restaurants in the world. However, if you are on a budget trip, then it will be prudent to avoid them. Also, the street food in Singapore is among the best in the world. In fact, it has the privilege of receiving the world’s first Michelin star for street food. So be prepared to treat your taste buds.
- Try travelling during the non-peak months. Usually, July to August is considered to be the cheapest time to visit Singapore. This will also be a way to lower the Singapore trip costs from India.
- Choose your destinations carefully. Avoid places that charge a high fee for admission or participation. Some places you can visit while on a budget are the Thian Hock Keng Temple, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, the island of Pulau Ubin, MacRitchie Reservoir Park, etc.
- You can also attend a free concert by the Singapore Symphony Orchestra, explore Chinatown and Little India, and pay a visit to one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Singapore, Kampong Glam.
- If you consume alcohol, then try to stick to the happy hours when most pubs offer discounts on drinks.
Important Information About Singapore
Here are some important details about Singapore
- Address: 31, Grange Road Singapore 239702
- Contact Number: +65 6737 6777 (Calls only); +65 8777 8589 & +65 9451 9814 (WhatsApp only – no calls)
Major International Airports in Singapore
- Singapore Changi Airport
The official currency of Singapore is the Singapore Dollar.
As you can see, travelling on a budget to Singapore can be fun if planned properly. However, we would like to reiterate that it is important to invest in a comprehensive international travel insurance policy to avoid expenses due to sickness or injuries caused by accidents or mishaps. These traveller insurance policies also offer coverage for other exigencies. Therefore, ensure that you go through the policy document carefully before buying. Safe travels!